Sunday, May 26, 2013

I feel like I'm running up a steep hill.


Housework is so freaking rewarding, even when you feel like a hapless clown attempting some aspect of it for the first time. A pane of glass in the side door fractured a year and a half ago. I taped it with clear packing tape to keep the loose glass from falling out, but that just gave me the opportunity to ignore it for this long.

The time has come to take care of household damage, Memorial Day weekend is perfect for that. And so, I got a pane of glass, glazing, shims, the whole deal -- mostly from Heights Hardware, thank you very much. (Don't be a yokel, shop local.)

Can I also say I went back to Heights Hardware when I cracked the first pane of glass? Thank you, Heights Hardware, your Cleveland Heights hardware store since 1911.

I also got some nails and wood glue from Home Depot because I have this gift card, but you shut up about that. Gift. Card.

I had believed the boy had cracked the glass when slamming the door too hard, that year and a half, maybe two years ago. Turns out the window frame for this particular pane of glass is cracked straight through. He didn't do that, it was like that a long time ago, and I believe the frame re-cracked itself. Chipping away the glaze and glass and removing the trim I am once again astounded at how poorly previous owners of this house had repaired things.

I would like to imagine that one day I will eventually leave this house better than I found it. The kitchen certainly is, even half-finished. We'll get there. Listen to me, I'm becoming Willy Loman.

Temperature: 57°
Climate: bright & cool. ideal, seriously.
Distance: 3.25 miles

Lord. I fix one pane of glass and have to tell everyone about it.

But what about the running? Incredible. There is still a stiffness in my right calf, same old thing. Not as bad as it used to be. Breathing is excellent ... I still haven't lost those pounds. I think if I dropped five pounds I would fit much better into my world.

Taking several days at a time off running and the pain in my back returns during the night, strange flare-ups in my legs. Better to stick with it. Every other day, at least.

Now I am going to oil the front door. That is not a euphemism, I am going to rub wood oil onto ... okay, that just sounds worse. My house. Housework. Later.

Whenever You're On My Mind Playlist
Valerie Loves Me - Material Issue
Hourglass - Squeeze
Better Things - The Kinks
Swallowed By The Cracks - David & David
He Can't Love You - Michael Stanley Band
Someday, Someway - Marshall Crenshaw
Another Nail In My Heart - Squeeze
Oldest Story In The World - The Plimsouls
Welcome To The Boomtown - David & David

It's an All-Request Power-Pop Weekend!

No comments: