Friday, July 08, 2016

Keeping physical.

Twelfth Night (As Told By Malvolio)
Why would I choose to run in the middle of a blazing, eighty-something degree day?

Because I am a good father, that's why.

Distance: 3.3 miles
Avg Pace: 8:50
Duration: 29:09
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 84°
Climate: HOT
Mood: uncertain

Like a lot of boys, mine is addicted to the screen. Minecraft videos, Clash of Clans, Battle Bots, just everything. It's summer vacation, I watched a lot of television when I was his age - a lot. However, I did it in the living room, where Mom could see me and remind me to get the fuck out of the house.

Just kidding. I have never heard my mother say fuck.

Today was the first performance of Twelfth Night (As Told By Malvolio), and so this morning I first took him to the art museum (where he was more interested in playing on screens in Gallery One) while his sister was in classes and where the wife met us to head off the see the show at the MLK Jr. branch of the library.

Before this excursion he was on his screen, and returned to it immediately after returning home. I asked him to find something different to do than lying in bed watching Minecraft videos to soon after find him watching Battle Bots.

We need to do something physical, I said. We do.

He suggested a bike/run through Forest Hill, so that's what we did.

No comments: