Sunday, December 11, 2016

Moving on, forward.

Why not run? Concerts to attend, social events, writing to be written. We've seen an awful lot of plays this season. Last night the wife an I had a rare night on our own, attending a performance of the sold out run of Cabaret at Blank Canvas.

Tiny house (90 seats) set in the middle of a vast warehouse on the edge of downtown. That warehouse, 78th Street Studios, was last night crammed with craftspeople for the Cleveland Bazaar, and loaded with holiday shoppers.

This was my dream of the early 90s, we would stage events in strange spaces in the city and, yes, we would draw a certain number of folks to whatever it was we were doing but then it would be over and the places would once again be vacant and these moments would be few and far between.

This my hope for the future, that we continue making things happen in the city. Things are worse than they have ever been, things are better than they have ever been.

Did I mention the show were were seeing was Cabaret?

Distance: 3.3 miles
Avg. Pace: 9:03
Duration: 29:41
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Pavement: dusty snow

Snow, yes, even through the park, but it's still light and not packed, not crusty, not yet. Was able to chug my way around. It woud feel good to do that more often, though my knees are already in pain. That's what happens when I run in snow, too much twisting of my legs, too much landing on uneven ground.

Thankful for a great set of winter gear. Got this jacket from L.L.Bean during the summer of 2012, that was planning ahead. My brother gave me these pants over twelve years ago. No holes, both the zippers and the elastic in the cuffs still work.

Still. Weekend headaches. Went to bed after midnight last night, we had a post-show meal at Toast. She loves that places and I do, too. The waitress asked if we wanted the speaker near us turned down, but we didn't. Two funky young theater artists whom I dig were sitting two tables away talking shop and using the word "fuck" a surprising amount, but I didn't want them turned down, either.

Temperature: 27°
Climate: cold, nice
Weight: 171 lbs. (+2.5)
Goal: 165 lbs.
Mood: disbelief

Obama Years (2009-2016)
This Must Be The Place - Miles Fisher
Pumpin Blood - NONONO
Giving Up The Gun - Vampire Weekend
Voices In My Head - Bob Mould
Down By The Water - The Decemberists
Happy - Pharrell Williams
Something Good Can Work - Two Door Cinema Club
Love Sex Magic - Ciara ft. Justin Timberlake

No comments: