Sunday, April 09, 2017

Standing upright, pounding along.

1992
Oh, God. We saw Jonathan Richman at the Grog Shop on Wednesday. I was listening to DJBG a few weeks ago and I was the first caller and suddenly I had plans to see a ROCK MUSIC SHOW.

I mean, not really, we were seeing Jonathan Richman, which is like watching a stoned hipster beatnik guru (almost) effortless make up an entire set about parties, girls, unattainable happiness and that stuff that gets stuck to the side of the sink that you don't know what it is but it's pretty gross.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Avg. Pace: 7:42
Duration: 25:04
Route: Forest Hill Loop

2017
Almost thirty years ago a friend at school has an extra ticket to see Jonathan at a club in Columbus, but he didn't have a date or a car so I got to be his date and his car. It was a wonderful experience, I went up to the singer after the show to shake his hand and tell him how much I enjoyed he performance and he looked at me like I was insane.

That was a few years before he released I, Jonathan which is one of my very favorite albums ever. It's romantic and amusing and it's got a good beat and you can run to it.

Temperature: 66°
Climate: bright & beautiful
Mood: It's magic! It's magic!

He closed with Lesbian Bar, and it was apparent that it was the only song anyone in the room knew. He'd also performed a slowed down version of Old World from The Modern Lovers, but I'm not sure anyone caught that. I'm not certain I did.

Baseline: 174 lbs.
Today: 164.5 lbs. (-0.5)
Goal: 165 lbs.
Ideal: 160 lbs.

Bright day in the park, humid and adventurous. My left hip still hurts. What are you gonna do? These shoes are everything. New shoes for me, from now on, all the time. All my extra spending money, on new shoes.

Dog walkers, thank you, for cleaning up after them, and bringing them to heel.

I, Jonathan - Jonathan Richman (1992)
Parties in the U.S.A.
Tandem Jump *
You Can't Talk to the Dude
Velvet Underground *
I Was Dancing in the Lesbian Bar
Rooming House on Venice Beach
Grunion Run
A Higher Power *

No comments: