Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The rhythm is the power to move me.

Duran Duran's fifth studio album, Big Thing, was released thirty years ago this October. It is an underappreciated masterpiece.

It is true, no music holds as much significance as that which you loved when you were twenty. And my twentieth year was significant; I had my first major depression, positioning myself at odds with those who were closest to me.

That fall I felt deeply in touch with the disaffection (and volume) of "I Don't Want Your Love" and still misogynist enough to embrace "All She Wants Is" for all the wrong reasons.

That spring I took a solo road trip to Florida to visit my dying grandfather, and also an old girlfriend. Listening to the entire album, numerous times (I had a cassette player on the passenger seat -- skipping tracks in those days was not even an option) I was subsumed by the atmosphere of the second side; stirred by the lush "Do You Believe In Shame?" and stimulated and inspired, chain smoking, putting down miles of open highway, windows open, taking in the final tracks, "The Edge of America/Lake Shore Driving."

On Route 98, you can say you are actually on the edge of America.

I saw Duran Duran in concert once, at Blossom Music Center in 1993. They did not play one single song from this album.

Big Thing - Duran Duran (1988)
Big Thing
I Don't Want Your Love
All She Wants Is
Too Late Marlene
Drug (It's Just a State of Mind)
Do You Believe in Shame?
Palomino
Interlude One
Land
Flute Interlude
The Edge of America/Lake Shore Driving *


We have been sleeping until we wake these past two days, but the wife gently woke me to watch the sunrise this morning. It is our wedding anniversary. The deck was nice and cool after the rain, a beautiful start to what may be a (literally, not emotionally) stormy day.

Water, coffee, rest, run.


Distance: 5 miles
Duration: 44:48
Pace: 8:58
Route: Topsail Beach
Temperature: 75•
Climate: overcast & hot
Mood: good

Gorgeous day on the beach. Running earlier helps, it's still cloudy, no direct sun at all. Dog walkers, though. Come on. assholes. I ran past them on my way out, came to back find little gifts along the way. Who the fuck do you think you are?

Breathless and parched. Finished strong, if a little woozy. Sipped water slowly as I did my exercises, started talking to my son and got very dizzy. Strange. More water. Then food. Nick's making potatoes and eggs!

Exercises: yes! all the exercises!

No comments: