Saturday, August 05, 2023

The written word is a lie.

Okay, here's a confession. And a qualification. I do not have a drinking problem. I have  problem with drinking. Alcohol has always given me a big headache. Always. I have often wondered if I have an allergy to the stuff, like an actual allergy. It makes me ill.

But I enjoy it. Thursday night I had two beers. One at eight, anther at ten. Two beers. We watched the show (Step Nine) got in late. Bed by one a.m.? I woke up at five in the morning, headachy and also shivering. I thought maybe I had Covid (I don't have Covid) and anyway it destroyed my morning. I was sick and in pain and couldn't pull it together until mid-afternoon.

Two beers. You think I'm lying. Two beers. This doesn't always happen but it happens often enough. I was talking to our eldest about it, and about my efforts at selective sobriety since early this year (see: March Mildness) and they said, maybe you need to accept that you can't have more than one drink.

They just said that, like that, to their father. It was so simple, and so straightforward and so helpful. And they're right. That is a decision I need to make. I am so proud we have raised such wise and thoughtful children.

Distance: 3.1 miles
Duration: 28:42
Pace: 9:15
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 74°
Climate: overcast & humid
Mood: good
 
Halfway through my run I got a call from James, and I took it. It was like running with a friend. Modern technology is cool sometimes.
 
Stretches: yes
Water: yes

Breakfast: coffee w/cream, fresh strawberry, raspberry, cherry, banana w/yogurt & sunflower seeds
Lunch: Ethiopian leftovers
Snack: almonds
Dinner: vegan “chicken” sandwich
Alcohol? 1/2 pint Guinness 

Baseline: 195 lbs.
Current: 172 lbs. (+1.0)
Goal: 165 lbs.

Okay, this is where I lose it. Bad habits, eating whatever. Let’s keep it together this time.

No comments: