Sunday, June 01, 2008

Love's Not For Me

Pengo's Priorities
    1. Family
    2. Work
    3. Household business
    4. Running
    5. Writing
    6. Sketching
Writing should come before running, but I actually run more often than I write. My artistic pursuits fall behind my work and family, and I have to run because I have to run. If I do not run, I will die.

This makes weekends very difficult. I want to, need to spend as much time with the kids as possible, to make up for my time at work during the week - like everyone else. I try and squeeze in housework and maintenance between and through time with children - like everyone else. And running is time I can easily justify for myself. If I do not run, I will die.

So how can I take time to write or (gasp) draw? Well. I do not know about any other weekend, but this has been a good one. In spite of, or because of, a lot of outside activities - end-of-season soccer games, trips to alpaca farms - I have either been the recipient of watching-the-boy-sleep time or stay-home-and-work-on-the-big-presentation time.

The first gave me time to sketch yesterday, alone, for well over an hour, and then write for another hour. And today, after a week off the road, I stayed home from the alpaca farm (yes) to finish the presentation, and then reward myself with a run in great, bright, sweaty late-spring weather.

Good times, good times.

1980 Playlist
I'm Alright - Kenny Loggins
Can You Feel It? - The Jacksons
Coming Up - Paul McCartney
Only A Lad - Oingo Boingo
Turning Japanese - The Vapors
Funkytown - Lipps Inc.
Kit Mambo - Graham Gouldman
She's Lost Control - Joy Division
He Can't Love You Like I Love You - Michael Stanley Band
Let My Love Open The Door - Pete Townshend
Canary In A Coalmine - The Police
Crosseyed and Painless - Talking Heads
Warmdown Lap:With You I Can Run Forever - Graham Gouldman
    (Last Year's 1980 Playlist)
    Antmusic - Adam and the Ants
    Ah! Leah! - Donnie Iris
    Call Me - Blondie
    Enola Gay - Orchestral Manoevres in the Dark
    Driven to Tears - The Police
    Transmission - Joy Division
    Pretty Boys - Joe Jackson
    Take This Town - XTC
    Play For Today - The Cure
Run stats:
Distance: 5.7 miles
Weight: 167 lbs.
Temperature: 62º
Weather: sunny & Warm

No comments: