Sunday, January 12, 2014

Please learn from my mistakes.


Currently in a holding pattern. Words are, indeed, flowing on less endless rain into a paper cup. Writing has been happening, in long-hand, on an honest-to-goodness stenographer's pad. A new play, a very personal one. I ask you, how much of someone else's life can you put into your play? It's like that story arc in Slings & Arrows ...

Oh, you've never seen Slings & Arrows, that's right, only theater people ever watched that show. Only theater people would want to.

Temperature: 37°
Pavement: mostly dry!
Distance: 3.25 miles
Weight: 176 lbs.

When did it become de rigueur for all pop songs to shout out other pop stars? It used to be a novelty, and now it seems like every teeny bop singer has to make reference to the pantheon of superstars, like they were reciting the book of Matthew.

"What's up with this Prince song inside my head?" Gee, I don't know. Perhaps it gnaws at you that his songs are great and yours are so meticulously horrible.

2008 Playlist
That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings
Let's Dance to Joy Division - The Wombats
Three-Way - The Magnetic Fields
Mansard Roof - Vampire Weekend
Down To Earth - Peter Gabriel
Breakeven - The Script
Halo - Beyoncé

2 comments:

Itibrout said...

1. That's Not My Name is also on my running list. I'm ashamed to say that I forgot about the Ting-Tings until having kids forced me to watch Yo Gabba Gabba.

2. The sidewalks and streets were pretty good this morning, but I tried to do a couple miles on the trail, and it was a sheet of ice. Not happening, not without skates. I feel like since I broke my foot, I am an old lady who is afraid of falling all the time. My eyes obsessively sweep the road for nuts.

3. I have lost 6 days of instructional time. This just means (once again) that I get to be in a panic-sweat about completing Hamlet before the residency week.

That is all.

pengo said...

Funky Cold Medina!