Friday, January 01, 2016

I was so miserable and now I feel so alive.

Bring it.
New Year's Eve, I consumed three  drinks over the course of a six hour party. I drank water. And I ate, oh boy did I eat, it was a very nice evening hosted by close friends and I managed to make to through the entire night without offending anyone.

But it went late, we were in bed around three. I slept warm and woke two hours later gasping for air and with a slight headache. I drank water, took pain reliever and tried to go back to sleep, and was largely unsuccessful, drifting in and out of sleep. My lips were dry, my head was hurting and then the sun rose. I cannot sleep in a light room.

I could hardly do anything, all day. I just hurt more and more as the morning progressed, and felt sicker as the afternoon began. There was nothing for it. I hadn't had an excess to drink, I did everything you are supposed to do. And I had made New Year's Day was miserable. I am grateful for a sympathetic and caring family.

So there it is. Yesterday morning I drove halfway to Athens and back to pick up work-related things that we discovered had been left behind, and then I needed to sleep for an hour or so.  I had plans to accomplish things -- some things, a few things, anyway, in the two days I had back in town before going back to work tomorrow (yes, work, tomorrow, yes.) The least I can do, the very least, is take a New Year's Run.

Distance: 3.35 miles
Avg Pace: 8:00
Route: Boulevard Loop

Now, as of 9:30 PM on January 1, 2016, I feel good. Wednesday, after driving home from Athens, I was feeling pain in my back, Across my latissiumus dorsi there were some flare-ups and I wondered if they were associated with my previous back issues. No idea, they were gone by morning and driving another four hours didn't bring them back.

The fact is, I am aware that I continue, for the time being, to be in a very good place physically for someone my age. I would like to stay that way for as long as possible.

And so, ladies and gentlemen ,,, Fifty Playlists for Fifty Years.

2015 Playlist
The Shade - Metric
Giving Up On You - Wild Belle
Price Tag - Sleater-Kinney
Restless - New Order
Leave a Trace - CHVRCHES
Huarache Lights - Hot Chip
Run - Cisco

Temperature: 25°
Climate: cold!
Weight: 166 lbs.

Running Resolutions for 2016:

  1. Keep Running. I cannot say "run more" because I do not believe that is possible. I took one hundred ninety-five runs last year, due in large part to my diabetes scare and training for the Twin Cities Marathon. The best I can hope for is to keep up.
  2. Maintain the Weight. Before the holidays I was consistently around 160. The holidays are now over. Keep eating the good things, and avoiding that bad things.
  3. Run the Cleveland Half Marathon. We're doing it. Who knows if I will ever have a fourth complete marathon, it is not something concerns me any longer. I will when the opportunity presents itself. But 13.1? Pffffft.

No comments: