Monday, January 18, 2016

Summer's here and the time is right.

Sunday was a day in, spent writing, cooking, cleaning, sorting, trashing, organizing. And eating. I could not pass on any carbohydrates that passed my way. Tried to take it easy at the beginning of the day with half a bagel, but by mid-afternoon I'd had chips, instant noodles and a beer. A lunch perhaps, but it left me feeling headachy and bloated.

Hand to mouth, hand to mouth. It's what the gum is for.

Distance: 1.7 miles
Avg Pace: 9:05
Duration: 15:24
Route: Two times around the block

On two separate occasions I decided to take a twelve mile run heading east on Monticello to SOM Center Road and back. Straight out six miles, and back. On both occasions I was surprised to discover that heading out was a breeze, and that heading back was torturous.

Stupid to be surprised by something like this twice. Once is surprised. Second is you forgot.

When wind happens, it goes from west to east down Monticello. If the weather is clement or warm, this is not a problem. When it is cold, it can be. Because my familiar neighborhood loop, around the elementary school, through the park, begins with a run up Monticello, it can often feel like driving with difficulty into a headwind -- no fun.

Last week, when there was snow on the pavement, I headed down my street to Monticello for a neighborhood run, and felt it, cold and hard. And I thought, forget this, I'm heading east on Monticello, around the block. Because heading back down my own street there is not wind, it's blocked by houses and trees.

Good plan. Running around the block. Good plan. Especially when there's a lot of snow. Because then I can tell myself I can stop whenever I want and home is just around the corner. Like today.

Temperature: 12°
Climate: SNOW
Pavement: SNOWY

1968 Playlist
The Memphis Train - Rufus Thomas
Love Child - The Supremes
Ride Your Donkey* - The Tennors
Grazing In The Grass - Hugh Masekela
Street Fighting Man - The Rolling Stones
Daddy Sang Bass - Johnny Cash

Weight: 163.5 lbs. (+1.0)
Mood: all right

But why run when it's so cold, when it has been snowing all day? Because I can. Because I am able to.

As I headed out the door, the wife said, "I hope you get invigorated!" Invigorated. Yes, that is exactly what I wanted, and that is what I got.

No comments: