Thursday, March 09, 2017

Here I go and I don't know why.

Forest Hill Park
My left hip was in pain Tuesday night, took the day off yesterday. I should take every other day off, right? Seems a little manic, actually. At least, when I am running. When I am not, well, it feels like not running then, doesn't it?

It makes me wonder, though. When does this all stop? When do I run out? Don't mean to be maudlin, but it will happen. I have been charging lately, going faster than I really should, probably. It feels good to run fast, but limping around the rest of the day? Perhaps a bad idea.

We watched Arrival last night, so I'm feeling very fragile.

Distance: 3.66 miles
Avg. Pace: 8:24
Duration: 30:43
Route: Forest Hill Loop

And oh, Jesus. I came into the house crying. It was crazy. I was having a relaxing run, mostly relaxing, taking it slower than usual. The park was littered with huge, downed trees. The windstorm last night was tremendous, climate change is ripping the planet apart.

Last night I fell asleep wondering if a branch from the large, ancient tree in our front yard would have enough momentum to impale the roof, our ceiling and into our bed.

The movie last night ... no one would have listened to her, you know? Not in the real world. They never mention gender, but there she is, surrounded by men. There are no other female characters in authority, not in the military, the NSA, the government, the young saboteur/terrorists. All men. In this world, they would not have listened to her. This President would have blown the thing up.

My hip still hurts. Is it just overuse, is it arthritic? We're not an arthritic family. A doctor would say it's because I run. If I asked, how do I make the pain go away? They would say stop, running. I lost part of my meniscus nine years ago. Ran two marathons since. You get one body, but also only one life.

Turning into the drive, I didn't look up, and thought, what would have happened had my wife been backing out, had struck me with her car, how she would have screamed, if she backed over my leg, and before I knew it was I was at the door, gripping my thigh. And I started to bawl.

We were moving steadily towards progress. Now we are backing away as fast as we can.

Pavement: dry
Temperature: 39°
Climate: cool
Mood: so, uhm, yeah

Baseline: 174 lbs.
Today: 165 lbs. (+0.5)
Goal: 165 lbs.
Ideal: 160 lbs.

1988 Playlist
Dancing Barefoot - Patti Smith
Bring Me Some Water - Melissa Etheridge
Kinda I Want To (demo) - Nine Inch Nails
Drug (It's Just a State of Mind) [Daniel Abraham Mix] - Duran Duran
Chains of Love - Erasure
Mary, Mary - Run-D.M.C.
She's Got a Brand New Spell - Billy Bragg
We're seeing Patti Smith downtown on Sunday night. Really looking forward to that.

No comments: