Friday, May 29, 2020

The screaming sky won't let me sleep.


Oranges & Lemons - XTC (1989)
Garden of Earthly Delights
The Mayor of Simpleton
King For a Day
Poor Skeleton Steps Out
One of the Millions
Scarecrow People
Merely a Man
Across This Antheap

On the other blog I referred to XTC's last entirely enjoyable album as the "thinking man's white whine." As the hot weather has set in, and I have suddenly been inspired to run again, I have been thinking of this one, a guilty favorite as it is a reminder when I was last single.

This album is me at twenty-one; self-involved and open-minded, entitled and egalitarian, judgmental and self-pitying, wise and foolish and very, very, very male.

Distance: 3.5 miles
Duration: 33:32
Pace: 9:35
Route: Forest Hill Loop

It was an inspiring run, the music felt good. But things being how they are, I feel sheepish admitting that my foundational "deep thoughts" regarding religion ("Dear God") race ("Human Alchemy") and feminism ("Down In The Cockpit") came from these twee Englishmen.

"It's Nearly Africa" used to be my jam, but ye gods, that thing is embarrassingly condescending. And racist.

Temperature: 72°
Climate: bright, sunny
Mood: determined, how's that?
Weight: 188 lbs. (-1.0)

Did not run yesterday. It was a cooler day, and rainy. And it was not a good day, physically. Perhaps because of the change in the weather. I don't know. There is a lot to do today, for everyone. It is the end of the school year. So many transitions.

And also, no alcohol for five days. Does it make a difference? Apparently, it does.

No comments: