Sunday, September 08, 2019

Endorphins make me cry.


Pre-Run Thoughts: The schedule demands eighteen miles, which I feel entirely unprepared for but I did complete sixteen miles two weeks ago, so anything is possible. Running to Dead Man's Curve and back (which is, my friends, eighteen miles) is not something I want to do, it feels arduous and I am not in the headspace for that.

Instead, I made plans to run across town, to mother's house. The last time I attempted this it was also my father's house, alas. But the city was different then, the Cultural Gardens not as grand, fewer people living in the city, fewer other runners. Edgewater not yet the Metropark which thousands flock to. What will I see on a warm Sunday afternoon, heading from one side of town to the other?

Next year!
Last night was Pandemonium, a scene I wrote premiered, but I left shortly after the dance party kicked into gear. I was asleep before midnight and just kept sleeping until I was finished. This morning I have eaten carbs, a bagel and later some buttery pasta. I have energy, if not the strength I was hoping for.

Still have no idea what I am going to listen to.

Distance: 18 miles
Duration: 2:42:47
Pace: 9:02
Route: Rec Center to Mom's House
Temperature: 68° → 65°
Climate: overcast & cool w/light rain
Mood: all right
Stretches: yes
Water: yes
Energy snacks: Gatorade Prime Energy Chews

Post-Run Realities: Perfect day for it, I'll tell you that. And a lot of beautiful everything to look at. I can barely remember the first half, maybe because it is so familiar. I will say, running along the lake on a cloudy while Annie Lennox sings Whiter Shade of Pale was a truly introspective experience and one I enjoyed a great deal.

It was the home opener at Browns Stadium (we were spanked by the Titans 43-13) and I arrived just as everyone was leaving, which was a thrill, dodging the crowds. Detroit Avenue from the river to West 65th is such a different experience than when I first did it in 2006, and Edgewater was also extremely pleasant.

But fall is fast approaching, there were a lot of people at the beach, but not the crush of people you would find on a beautiful summer's day.

The major win for the day was my hydration and energy consumption, as I was able to spread out energy chews and hit water fountains roughly four or five miles apart, the longest stretches with hydration were from the East 55th Marina to Lower Edgewater, and from Upper Edgewater to mom's house. But I never felt dehydrated or depleted.

Amusingly, I was on Lake Avenue, the homestretch, when Carrie called my phone. When I answered she yelled "WE'RE BEHIND YOU!" and I turned and saw she and her friend David running up the street. They'd been trying to catch up when they'd seen me several blocks back, but even after running sixteen miles I run faster than the average human.

Stopping to talk to them, however, made my legs freeze up and the final two miles were hard going. Alas. But I did finish strong, about a half mile short of mom's house, which was good because it meant I finished walking, and didn't immediately sit down.

And I listened to 90s music the entire way.

What's that mondegreen?
"The dolphins make me cry."
- "Only Wanna Be With You" by Hootie & the Blowfish

Week Thirteen Total: 32.5 miles
Total To Date: 304.25 miles

No comments: