Wednesday, June 17, 2009

GET THE SHIRT!



Josh has designed an AWESOME Retro-80s Runner's T-shirt design to celebrate sending ATYD to FringeNYC - and to generate some desperately needed income. Click on any of the designs there to take you to the CafePress shop to order yours now!

(For your information - we do get to keep quite a nice portion of the payment for each shirt.)

The Bowery Boys: The New York City Marathon

In early 2008 Leah turned me onto The Bowery Boys podcast, and I have just been loving it. My knowledge of history is not as deep as say, my father's is, but I do prefer non-fiction to fiction, in general.

Hmn. As if the majority of my produced work doesn't reflect that.

Check out the link to the NY Marathon podcast, it's easy to listen to, fun and informative.

Listening to: PODRUNNER Classic - One Tribe (130 BPM)

Sometimes my glasses strap really drills my glasses into the bridge of my nose. Damn.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Temperature: 65º
Weather: light rain - rain is good!
Weight: 152 lbs.

Finally made good on answering those three questions for nytheatre.com ... with a little help from my astonishing awesome wife.

1. What is your show about and what can audiences expect when they see it?

The show is about what goes through a man's mind as he runs the NYC Marathon, so it blends the experience of the race with people and events that, circuitously, brought him there. The protagonist is a cartoonist and illustrator who never thought of himself as an athlete. Beginning with his first running experience at age 12, he considers girls, hopes, girls, dreams, girls, professional frustrations, divorce, and other vagaries of becoming an adult. By the time he reaches the end and his waiting family, he (hopefully) knows the difference between the finish line and what it takes to get there.

Audiences can expect to travel the 5 boroughs, as well as the city of Cleveland, on foot, and to see simulated acts of smoking, vomiting, urinating and dancing. And they will see me naked (not simulated).


2. Why is your show pertinent to today’s times and/or why should your show be the choice for audiences to see?

It's more universal than pertinent. It is about having doubts and fears but doing things anyway. It's about triumph over adversity without being, you know, preachy or arrogant.

3. Why did you choose to present this show?

I tend to write about major events in my life, but to skew them in odd ways. Training for a marathon is just too f-ing hard to let go to waste, and it was something I never thought I would be able to do. To take that and create a solo piece about running in all five boroughs - and make it funny and interesting - was an exciting challenge. Plus it is sort of a love letter to New York, and my daughter.

No comments: