Saturday, April 27, 2013

It's all about where you're going. No matter where you've been.


Ladies and gentlemen ... 47 Playlists for 47 Years.

2013 Playlist
Some Nights - fun.
My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up) - Fall Out Boy
Let Go - Calvin Harris Ft. Ne-Yo
I Will Wait - Mumford & Sons
Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
Thrift Shop - Macklemore ft. Wanz
It's Time - Imagine Dragons
Troublemaker - Olly Murs ft. Flo Rida
Don't Stop The Party - Pitbull ft. TJR

This annual tradition, a compulsion, really, began in February 2007 to motivate my depressed, out-of-shape ass out of the house and into the snow to run. This was a few months after running my first marathon, and I was used to the admittedly sane notion that, short of a gym membership, you can't run in Cleveland during the winter.

However, I had been given cold weather gear, and basically had no excuse not to, and so creating one playlist from every year in my life was just the kind of novel idea that would give me an extra reason to get out and do it.

Most years I finish running these lists in May or even June. Last year, training for another marathon, running every other day, or every day, I finished the entire series in March. I am happy to have completed this year before the end of April.

Keeping these annual playlists, many of them over three hours long, saved in my iTunes, means I no longer spend a lot of time curating it. When I hear a song I think is good for running, I pop it into the list. I do this all year. I don't even think too much about it. It means that for, for the first third of any given year, I am not obsessing about what music I will listen to on my next run, it's just there.

Kids Warm-Up
Temperature: 53°
Distance: 2 miles (in 8 1/4 mile increments)

One-third of a year. So much has happened to all of us here since the beginning of 2013. My expectations for the year were high, with three scripts in some form of production, but if you know anything about me you know I do not stay high for very long. Since January, two have opened and closed, and me with no idea as to whether either have a future -- one not yet published, the other not yet finished.

Which brings us to today, when I received notice that Double Heart has been accepted in the 2013 NYC Fringe Festival.

Temperature: 51°
Climate: everything's cool.
Distance: 4 miles

No comments: