Friday, March 14, 2014

A pretty piece of flesh, I am.

What?
Come on, you can't run in that shit.

Anxiety has gripped me tight. Things are well. My resolutions hold firm. I read, and I write, every day. Obsessively. Maybe it makes me unhappy that I am not enjoying what I am reading. I find it interesting, but irritating. The facts are those I need to learn, the writer is really terrible at sharing them.

You can write a book about Shakespeare without finding a corresponding quote from Shakespeare to accompany every single paragraph. I find a song lyric to provide a title to every blog entry, but that's only because I have to call them something and using someone else's words is easier than being creative.

This is not why I am anxious.

The weather disturbs me, and yet I hold fast. The news disturbs me, and yet I hold fast. The family unit holds, we talk and play and watch and read, together. These things are good. The work continues, and yet I am anxious.

Last week I "unplugged" from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. It was a national thing I heard about during the day, on Friday. And I thought I would try it. It was challenging, but I was successful. And I learned a lot. And then plunged back into the internet and became maudlin.

It is expansive, but it is not fulfilling. I can check my email every five minutes, but there is nothing there but advertisements.

Tonight I will do it again, because I want to, not because it is a thing. I will observe social media shabbos. I do not impress this upon my family, they can do as they like. But I will switch off from sundown tonight (7:31 pm) to sundown tomorrow (7:33 pm).

Tonight I will see a play, alone. Tomorrow I will see another play, also alone. These events will bookend my day of media rest.

It remains cold. I do not wish to run. And that is why I must.

Temperature: 36°
Distance: 3 miles
Weight: 172.5 lbs.

Oxygen. Motion. Elements. Thank you.

1996 Playlist
Midnight In a Perfect World - DJ Shadow
Cinnabar - Tipsy
Female of The Species - Space
A Pretty Piece of Flesh - One Inch Punch
On The Edge - Queue Up
The Idiot Kings - Soul Coughing

No comments: