Sunday, January 18, 2015

Do you remember the shape I was in?

Who is he ... and what is he to you?
Plans fall hard. The boy injured his hip somehow at soccer practice on Friday. No harm, no foul, just drills. Suddenly, he couldn't walk. Took him to the doctor, had an x-ray and everything. Nothing, just a pained hip. He was supposed to play with his rock band yesterday at the Beachland, but the doctor doesn't even want him getting around too much. Made the day a little different.

This morning he and I each got to sleep in while the females went off the her soccer game. The boy with the bad hip, the man with the bad back. Some have asked if I am considering surgery, the answer is no, no thank you, things would have to be considerably worse for me to consider back surgery, we haven't gotten there yet. Who knows, the physical therapist may be correct, I may be able to alleviate this with regular exercises.

However, at the moment ... last night my wife and I took in a rare double feature at the Cedar-Lee. Birdman and The Imitation Game. The last ten minutes of the former irritated me, pretty much all of the latter irritated me, and sitting in a movie chair for four hours was by far most irritating of all. You can only sit straight up with your feet flat on the floor for so long.

However, spending six uninterrupted hours with my wife (we started with dinner at Lopez) was certainly worth every moment.

Temperature: 37°
Distance: 3.5 miles

Running is pain-free. Sun even broke across the skeletal neighborhood trees. The streets are wet, sidewalks choked with crusty snow where it had never been shoveled.

I have a goal to run at least 10 times in January, because any less would be absolutely lame. At this rate, and with the forecast for the week, this is a doable thing.

1972 Playlist
Who Is He? (And What Is He To You?) - Bill Withers
Rock and Roll Pary 2 - Gary Glitter
I'm So Free - Lou Reed
The Ballad of El Goodo - Big Star
Get On The Good Foot - James Brown
I Wanna Be With You - The Raspberries
Hi Hi Hi - Paul McCartney & Wings
Stairway to the Stars - Blue Oyster Cult
Roadrunner - The Modern Lovers

No comments: