Sunday, January 04, 2015

I'm a genius, genius.


I do not know why we went to bed Friday night at midnight. I cannot tell you what happened that would have made that possible. What I can say is that I had to work yesterday (yes, a Saturday) and rising at six o'clock was a new, fresh hell, my face feeling as though a small, fat child were sitting on it, after having first hit it with a hammer.

And it only got better incrementally, and never entirely. Last night I begged off my family at 8 PM, or more accurately, said I wanted to go to bed but was finally ordered to. I really wanted to spend the evening with them, I wanted social time with my wife and kids. Not going to happen.

So I slept from 8 to 11, then couldn't sleep for an hour, and then stayed more or less at rest until 7 AM when she woke me and I thought WTF? Really? She let me sleep for another two hours.

My new year's resolutions are not coming to fruition, but then, I have been working pretty much since New Year's Day. Keep them in mind. However, if reports are correct. the earth has waited for the holidays and the arbitrary demarcation of the new year to pass before socking us with another winter of the Deep Death Freeze.

The annual runs will be few and far between this week, I can tell. I do not feel like running right now, but if not now, when? Again, I will keep it short. This is what we call paying it forward - to yourself.

Temperature: 46°
Distance: 2 miles

No rain at the moment, little wind. A breezy, cool, new day. One resolution this winter is to plot and execute more weight-bearing exercises. The wife noted how disciplined I was when training for the running play. When I think of that period, I do remember trying to make sure my lanky body (I weight thirty pounds less six years ago than I do now) looked sinewy and not all loose and flabby, but also that I was recovering from an operation on my knee - that came first. Late fall 2008 was spent rising very early in the morning to do physical therapy, at a clinic and also at home. Every morning.

Exercise, every morning. Not the year I have had so far.

As long as we are destined to be housebound in the foreseeable future, I intend to add free weights to the wii fit routine. A little will do a lot.

1968 Playlist
Let the Sunshine In - Hair Original Broadway Recording
You're Gonna Miss Me - 13th Floor Elevator
These Days - Nico
Daydream Believer - The Monkees
Girl Watcher - The O'Kaysions
Grazing In The Grass - Hugh Masekela
Astral Weeks - Van Morrison

No comments: