Saturday, January 10, 2015

Just as fast as my feet can fly.


I can deal with old man jokes. I work with people half my age. I was born when Johnson was President ("What, Andrew Johnson?" Chennelle asked last night over beer at Parnell's, ha ha ha) and tell stories about when everyone smoked and Tremont was cutting-edge.

What I cannot stand, or to put it another way, makes me very unhappy, is when I feel old. Actually feel it. As I was approaching my fortieth, I had blown my left knee, my meniscus was torn, it was swollen and difficult to bend, could not run. Under these specific circumstances, I was not thrilled to receive the inflatable walker. Lucky me, I had the operation, and felt "normal".

A little over a month ago, I did some strenuous yardwork. It made me tied, but I did not feel injured. The next day I participated in a television interview for WVIZ and shortly thereafter felt as tough I had thrown my back out. It still hurts.

It feels better, it feels worse. I thought it would pass, it has not. Driving long distances in my car aggravates my back terribly. Being in a refrigerated school auditorium for a week has complicated the pain, and even today, there it is, deep in my lower back.I have to stoop to pick things up. I have to hold onto something to sit. Getting up I have to bend slowly and stretch.

Every now and then I catch my reflection, and I see the stereotypical old man pose, walking bent, stooped, with a hand or two on my back to stand. Big sigh. And I don't have a sense of humor about it.

Temperature: 16°
Distance:1.75 miles

Running is easy. Standing up is hard.

Much warmer than than last time. No, seriously, every degree is a noticeable difference. Get above twenty degrees, to me it will feel like a crisp, fall day. Especially after all this. The first half-mile feels cold, then it stops. feeling that way. Face is flush, feet are warm. Kids are making chicken wings. Time for supper.

1970 Playlist
Mama Told Me Not To Come - Three Dog Night
The Man Who Sold The World - David Bowie
Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours - Stevie Wonder
Up Around the Bend - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Spill the Wine - War ft. Eric Burdon

No comments: