Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Hey-hey-hello!

Last week the girl and I watched movies pretty much every night. She wanted to get her retro teen flick experience, so we viewed Back To the Future, Ferris Buller's Day Off and Clueless.

Also Sweeney Todd, which was far more gruesome than I remembered, but ah well. She knew what she was getting into. We also watched Hamilton a couple times.

I was surprised to find Party Girl available on Amazon, so we also watched that. Made the same year as Clueless and with less than one percent of that Hollywood film's budget (seriously, Party Girl was made for $150,000) it was a starring vehcle for 90s indie-queen Parkey Posey and though I only saw it once, I bought the soundtrack and that is a much-loved CD.

I wondered if it was available on Spotify (yes, we now have a family subscription to Spotify) and was first surprised to see that it was! And then that it was not -- but what I had found was a fan playlist including all of the songs included in the film, many of which are not available on the CD.

Anyway, that is what I am listening to on my beach runs this week. Imitate a cat puking.

Distance: 2 miles
Duration: 22:30
Pace: 11:15
Route: Topsail Island Beach
Temperature: 81°
Climate: dark clouds, spitting rain
Mood: all right

High tide is not the best time to run here, there is only a narrow strip of firm sand to run on, which is sometimes subsumed by surf (I am running in shoes so far) and to avoid all others on the beach, I am sometimes dashing up onto the sandy part. It is like ... well, it is like running in sand.

But it felt good. Two miles under these conditions, with the wind and the sand giving below my feet, is more like three miles. So much more effort. And it's beautiful.

The beach, for those who are interested, is not crowded. When we are on it, we are close to no one. And there is the constant wind. I am unconcerned about transmission in this place.

No comments: