Thursday, July 29, 2021

Mother says I was a great mistake.


Waking up with a headache on vacation is all kinds of suck. I rose, made coffee, set a fire, and went right back to sleep. But by noon I was much better, and full of cake.

I have been mindful of my portions, so as to allow myself to have a little of everything. When the sourdough pretzels break out of a game of Scrabble, I want to say yes. But carbs have been piling high and there will be a price to pay. All I know is that I still fit into my shorts.

Our edlest and I will be return home on own own on Sunday, the boy is remaining here with friends and even my wife will stay a few extra days. She loves it here so much.

Yesterday afternoon we laid our mother to her final rest. Her ashes, her remains, has sat in a biscuit tin on a bookshelf in our bedroom for a year and a half. It has been a burden. Mother would not approve, either, and if she were here she would be happy for me.

It was a picture perfect afternoon, we set out on a boat, her sons, their families. Words were spoken, I very carefully poured (not scattered) her ashes into the drink (she always called it the drink, "don't fall in the drink") where they coallesced into a cloud beneath the green, holding together for the moment for us to see before we drifted apart.

Distance: 3.53 miles
Duration: 32:24
Pace: 9:10
Route: Martin Point Run
Temperature: 68°
Climate: sunny & beautiful
Mood: good

What's That Lyric?
Novocaine For the Soul - Eels

No comments: