Tuesday, February 06, 2007

It's Too Darn Hot

Distance: 3.25 miles
Time: 2.30pm
Stretches: yes
Lunch: pasta, tomato sauce, parmasean
Drink: Gatorade
Weight: 171 lbs.
Weather: 10º

Body Language (163 BPM) - dj steveboy
"The DJ gods smiled on me and turned my totally impromptu hour of mixing into one of Podrunner's most energetic sets so far. Think I'll burn incense."

First Avenue


No, I haven't been holding out on blogging, I seriously have not run since Thanksgiving. This is a list of excuses:

I have been working on my eating.
Alcohol is very enjoyable.
Payback - my spouse has a life, too.
I wanted to touch base with the children while they still remembered me.
Thanksgiving!
Christmas!
New Year's!
Martin Luther King Jr. Day!
It's just too painfully cold out.


10 freaking degrees. Starting out I thought I'd made a huge mistake. I had all the proper gear on, longjohns, long undershirt, the polar fleece, even that weird neck thing my MIL gave me (that item is dynamite) - and I'd found my favorite hat! Been missing that one since I (didn't) take a run in Chicago.

But the wind was ripping my face. The neck-thing can be pulled up over your mouth and nose ... but then my glasses fog up. Oops. I was getting those snot icicles.

Mmmm. Snot icicles.

Eventually I just didn't notice it, though I think 3 miles is defintely the limit until the thaw. But then, why do I need to run any farther?

DJ Steveboy was right, Body Language is one of his best mixes yet. I have missed them. I recently found a brand new use for PODRUNNER; I was listening to it while figure drawing last weekend. In the past have always listened to jazz when I have a live person in front of me for sketching, but I needed something new. Like running, or any of the million other pursuits I have that I do in earnest for short bursts of time and then neglect for years, I always feel my drawing gets better when I leave it alone for a while. It was a great session, and part of the credit goes to the mix (though most goes to the model.)

God. I feel good. And I haven't for two weeks now. There's just all this stuff piling up in my head, and I swear I was going to just disintegrate into tears while watching the kids at the Children's Museum this morning (it's a snow day ... everywhere) and then it struck me - I have got to run.

Endorphins. Love 'em.

NEW YORK MARATHON FUN!

Watch me run the marathon (as represented by a tiny red dot) from start to finish! See me pile it on in the middle of Brooklyn and then peter out the rest of the way home! Race my little dot against those of Lance Armstrong or Bobby Flay (they were both faster than me)! Visit the ING NYC Marathon Course Simulation!

No comments: