Monday, July 20, 2009

6 AM is for Runners

Distance: 3.2 miles

Rolled out early this morning. As usual, when an alarm clock is actually set, I don't need it. I got up five minutes before my wake-up call. I had rinsed my running kit and set it out to dry but I was still a bit whiffy, I think I will be showering in it this morning. Just can't pay $10 to have three pieces of nylon washed.

Sunrise over the Mid-Atlantic. Great, whipped piles of cloud whirling into the air, all pink and sherbety. Many fewer people on deck at six in the morning, mostly runners and only a few of us at that. Later, when I checked out the weight room, I found half a dozen spinners, all their machines facing the water. I don't know, it just doesn't make sense, moving inside when there's Paradise on the other side of the glass.

On the other hand ... it was very windy. And my left shin is bothering me, I believe thanks to all of those tight left turns.

We are in dock at King's Wharf, Bermuda. The day was spent in company of my pasty white family at Horseshoe Bay Beach. Clear water, rented sand chairs and umbrellas, tiny scuttling rock crabs, bobbing in the waves with a delighted infant, surprisingly good hot dogs and hamburgers, there was digging in the sand, tons of witty banter, and thickly applied sunscreen. By an hour or so past noon, the girl was baked, and I mean her brain.

Carrying her up the steep hill back to the bus in the mid-day sun she told me, "Dad? I like it better on the boat." And I said, "don't tell you mother, but I do, too."

No comments: