Thursday, July 09, 2009

Cool summer

Hottest. Shakespeare photo. Ever.

I do wish I could see Twelfth Night, I hear it is good. Nice cast. Fun. First time I saw Shakespeare at the Delacourt was in 1992 (I waited in line all day in 1990 to see Denzel play Richard III, but then it was rained out) to see Elizabeth McGovern in As You Like It. Doesn't matter who is playing Rosalind, I hate that play.

Still and all, Jonathan Goff being torn apart by harpies? I am there!

Listening to: PODRUNNER Classic - Pocket Rocket (141 BPM)

Distance: 3.25 miles
Temperature: 57º
Weather: cool & humid
Weight: 153.5 lbs.

What a cool ... cool summer. Not complaining, we have not had the air conditioner going since last September.

When our first child died, we adopted an Asian small-clawed otter at the Cle Met Zoo. The next year we were invited to Zoo Parents' Night. The zoo was open late on the second Wednesday of July and those who had adopted animals were invited for viewing at duck. There were (usually terrible) live bands, docents with animals or dead parts of animals, it was laid back, cool, uncrowded, and extremely pleasant.

Sometime in the past few years it has turned into Zoo Friends Night, which is just stupid. I have no idea what their guest list is like, but from all appearances anyone can get in. The place is packed, and instead of that being just like an ordinary Saturday, we are all arriving - and leaving - at the same time. It took a half-hour to get up 25th Street, and an hour to leave the parking lot.

I am all for free admission. And we will keep adopting the otters. But they need to stop advertising this evening as something special.

No comments: