Saturday, February 04, 2012

I smell of the earth and am worn by the weather.

My breakfast with Gandhi.

Good Lord, waking up this morning it felt as though I have not gone on a run for a month. Just seems like a long time ago. Why is that?

However, today was epic. Just perfect, no pain, just a nice, long run. No issues.

Route: Home to Gandhi (and back)
Distance: 10 miles

My first ten-miler was on July 22, 2006. I wrote:
Down Mayfield to Little Italy, through University Circle, four laps around Wade Oval, past Severance Hall, stopped to look up at Rainbow where my son recovers from a fractured skull, back up through Little Italy, and home.
Temperature: 36º
Climate: perfect, cool & dry
Weight: 177.5 lbs.
Snack: banana + fruit leather
Hydration? yes
Stretches? yes

Went a little crazy yesterday. Attended an event at a high school yesterday, our host teacher insisted I take a snack bag of chips. In fact, she literally put four of them in my hands. These are the small ones you get at Marc's for a quarter. Still, saying no is easy, and yet I walked out with four snack bags of chips in my hands. I was thinking, I will share these with my children.

No, of course not. They never made it home. The chips, I mean. Not the children.

Then, before bed, tea ... and a large frosting-covered brownie. The hell is wrong with me?

1990 Playlist (Part One)
Where Are You Baby - Betty Boo
Bust a Move - Young MC
Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) - C+C Music Factory
Tokoloshe Man - Happy Mondays
Cuts You Up - Peter Murphy
Elephants & Flowers - Prince
Don't Fence Me In (162 bpm) - David Byrne
World In My Eyes - Depeche Mode
B.B.D. (I Thought It Was Me)? - Bell Biv DeVoe
Policy of Truth - Depeche Mode
Sadeness [The Gulf edit] - Enigma

1. MOCA Borg Cube.

2. Port-a-john by the tennis courts retired for the season. Oh dear.

1990 Playlist (Part Two)
Serious - Duran Duran
So Hard - Pet Shop Boys
I Am Stretched On Your Grave - Sinéad O'Connor
Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite
Pure - Lightning Seeds
Vogue - Madonna
Never Enough [Big Mix] - The Cure
Freedom 90 - George Michael
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - The Thompson Twins
Everybody Everybody - Black Box


3. Five minutes with Gandhi. Hydration and fruit leather. Had to sneak down to the creek to pass water. I know the Mahatma would not mind.

4. Do not sneak down the the creek before dawn. It's like the Blair Witch Project down there.

Cooldown:
Poison - Bell Biv DeVoe
Here's Where the Story Ends - The Sundays

And I'm sorry to everyone. I am so so sorry for everything that has happened.

No comments: