Thursday, March 28, 2013

Punch out, wash up, come back, and wrap it up.

Thank you for this, Brian.

I hate driving alone. I need to get a Red Book back into my car. Three times in the past six months I have gotten myself horribly lost -- once in the City, and twice on the long, haunted expanses of rural Ohio -- with no opportunities to stop and ask for directions, something I am entirely capable of doing in spite of my gender.

Lost and late ... I think if I am not late I never consider myself lost. If I do not have a deadline, then I am simply where I am, and need to be elsewhere. When I am late, I am in the wrong place. And when I am alone, there is no one to help me, no one for whom to put on a bright face or to make light with. Alone is alone. And I fear being alone.

Oh yeah, that's a good idea isn't it? Yeah - let's all bring Neil down. That'll relieve the boredom. 

This afternoon Josh made me laugh out loud at my desk. That act by itself was the best thing that happened to me today.

Temperature: 41°
Climate: ideal.
Distance: 4 miles

Pure disco blasting in my ears, I wait for the light at Mayfield and Taylor, a stout, mustachioed Russian-American immigrant next to me in burly coat and knit cap. He smiles and asks me something and I have to remove my headphones.

Mustachioed Russian-American Immigrant: You having fun?
Goateed Sixth-Generation English-American: I am!


I said it. It has to be true.

Running every day is wearying, and I have not had a decent night's sleep since last weekend, if then. We have a four-day weekend, but it's not uneventful. There are rehearsals for side-projects, opening night performances, trips to see grandparents and great-grandparents. May be enough for fill my head and wear me out.

But let's see if I can run every single day. It is fun.

1979 Playlist
Down In The Park (150 bpm) - Gary Numan & Tubeway Army
Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
Catholic Girls - Frank Zappa
24 Hour Party People - The Happy Mondays
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
Cleveland Rocks - Ian Hunter
Goodbye Stranger - Supertramp
Hot Stuff - Donna Summer
It's Alright For You (171 bpm)  - The Police

I remembered Josh's joke twice while running, and almost had to stop from laughing out loud both times. It's a good joke.

No comments: