Friday, March 29, 2013

We have so much to feel good about.

 Good Omens.

Several mornings (too many mornings) I have had sinus pain. Change of season, too little and interrupted sleep. Painful pressure in my face. Large glass of water, four ibuprofen, and one pseudoephedrine. It walks me into my days.

Last night, upon retiring, I remarked how bad my sleep was the night before and the wife pops out of bed stating, "I'm getting you a sleeping pill." By this she meant an allergy medication,
diphenhydramine. Better living through OTC illness medication.

I must say, I slept better last night than I have in at least a week. This is my idea of a "good" Friday. 

1. Morning rehearsal for medical improv.
2. Take a run.
3. Spend the afternoon and early evening with my family at my parents' house.

Temperature: 41°
Climate: Sunglasses! Thank you.
Distance: 3.25 miles

How are you feelin' today, Harvey? Better, thank you. Better. I would like to imagine that I could feel this calm and settled during the middle of the week ... though the truth is I often feel anxious and out of sorts on the weekend, so I don't suppose it makes much difference what day it is today.

As the man pointed out yesterday, it should be beautiful spring (I almost wrote "spring-like" ... it IS spring, dammit) weather through the entire weekend. So running would be ideal, if not for my hamstring, which I feel, depending on the day, from my heel through my ankle, my heel through my calf, or like today, from my heel through my thigh.

This pain abates considerably after about five hundred yards, and maybe I will be able to ignore it all day. Tomorrow, however, I will get out of bed limping again. However, I feel (physically) much better than I did early this month when I was running little or not at all, and my diet has improved considerably, without really thinking about it.

It helps that I keep little or no cash on hand when I am at work, which prevents my suddenly dashing to the lobby for a candy bar or a soda pop. And then there are the menus my wife and children plan, which are by and large really, incredible awesome. Ginger-lentil soup? Yes, please, and thank you.

It also helps that right now in my car stereo is disc three of Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals.

2009 Playlist
Good Life - OneRepublic
Do What U Like - Bad Boy Bill
When Love Takes Over - David Guetta Feat. Kelly Rowland
Waking Up In Vegas [Calvin Harris Remix] - Katy Perry
TiK ToK - Ke$ha
This Must Be The Place - Miles Fisher
Dance Wiv Me - Dizzee Rascal ft. Calvin Harris & Chrome

Last chance to see.

2 comments:

Dee Kosboth said...

Fascinating - are those all real egg shells? Where is that? What a job!

Good work on the video, Zelda & Orson.

Dee Kosboth

pengo said...

Yes, indeed, Dee. That's Eggshelland -- thousands of real eggs, sprayed painted with high-gloss enamel car paint. A fifty-five year Lyndhurst tradition coming to an end this year due to the unfortunate demise of the family patriarch and beloved mastermind of this annual event. We miss him, and we will miss Eggshelland.