Saturday, March 30, 2013

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles.

 
My little wife must think it queer,
To rise at dawn without a reason clear.

I asked for the alarm to be set at six. Lately my family has been kind enough to let me sleep in Saturdays until I wake on my own, which is very nice, and every time I have had a sinus headache. As of this composition (around 6:24 am) I do not, and will not. The sleeping in gives me a headache. Instead I am scanning the Internet as I may if I had gotten up two or three hours later. Soon I will refresh my coffee, wash dishes, maybe listen to Terry Gross on a podcast.

Yesterday she (my wife, not Terry Gross) asked me to clean out the sink before we left for my folks' for the day. I scrambled to find my iPod and headphones, which confused her -- the sink wasn't full, it just needed to be cleared. But I can't wash dishes, can't do anything without sensory input. Staying still and performing the same function repeatedly makes my brain work and then I become irritated.

-- LATER --

Temperature: 46° → 50°
Climate: sunny, clear, paradise
Distance: 5.6 miles

Got the Earth Day 5K in Forest Hills Park coming up on April 24. Fourth annual, and I believe I have managed to run the previous three.

Beautiful, glorious, perfect, awesome, short-sleeve running weather. Almost got hit by no less than three drivers who don't actually stop at stop signs, looking left, trying to get onto Mayfield as soon as they can. I say "almost" because I was watching them, and always stopped, myself.

So remember, motorists. Share the sidewalk.

1969 Playlist
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
Purple Haze (Live at Woodstock) - Jimi Hendrix
Hey Bulldog - The Beatles
Time Is Tight - Booker T. and the MGs
Everybody's Talkin' - Harry Nilsson
The Ballad of John and Yoko - The Beatles
Feelin' Alright (181 bpm) - Joe Cocker
It's Your Thing (178 bpm) - The Jackosn 5
Sour Milk Sea - Jackie Lomax
The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine (181 bpm)  - Simon and Garfunkel
It's Your Thing (185 bpm) - The Isley Brothers
One After 909 (Rooftop Concert) (178 bpm) - The Beatles
A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara's Into Submission) (183 bpm) - Simon & Garfunkel
Goo Goo Barabajagal (Love Is Hot) - Donovan
Goodbye (181 bpm) - Mary Hopkin

Die cast "Yellow Submarine" toy. Yeah. We had one of those.

No comments: