Tuesday, February 12, 2019

You can run down the waveband.

Still with the kink in my ankle. Only when I wake up. Doesn't trouble me when I run. Not yet, anyway. Today we tech for the show. It is fascinating to enter a production in this way, jumping in at the last minute.

At the same time, my new script About a Ghoul is in rehearsal at Talespinner and I have been receiving notes from rehearsals with suggestions here and there for changing lines -- even the name of one character for whom I had received a poor translation.

I had read that the word "Samira" is Arabic for friend or companion, when (in Morocco, at least) it means "one who stays up late like an owl." While I love knowing that, it is an inappropriate name for the character!

And rehearsals for The Way I Danced With You begin Monday night at Ensemble. What a busy, busy month!

Distance: 2 miles
Route: Rec Center
Mood: good
Exercises: no

The 'Strange Science' Behind The Big Business Of Exercise Recovery, Fresh Air (2/11/2019)

Today Fresh Air told me that marathon runners refer to Ibuprofen as "Vitamin I." Thanks, Terry!

Seriously, though. On yesterday's episode, author Christie Aschwanden (Good to Go: What the Athlete in All of Us Can Learn from the Strange Science of Recovery) teaches us that everything we know about recovery is wrong.

For example:
  1. Ibuprofen is actually harmful as a prophylactic pain reliever or for regular use as an inflammatory.
  2. Proactive drinking is bad for you.
  3. Relief from a foam roller is psychosomatic.
Well, we knew that last one was true. Anyway, a worthwhile listen.

Baseline: 179.5 lbs.
Today: 179.5 lbs. (-1.0)
Goal: 175 lbs.

Two miles, straight through, no stopping, no machines. Big day. Gotta move.

1977 Playlist
Every 1's a Winner - Hot Chocolate
Mr. Blue Sky - ELO
Blame It On Cain (demo) - Elvis Costello
We're A Happy Family - The Ramones
The Things We Do For Love - 10cc

Cooldown:
Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll - Ian Dury & The Blockheads

Visit my Team Challenge Crohn's & Colitis page and support my bid for the Chicago Marathon!

No comments: