Saturday, August 03, 2019

In the streets.

Ran to the park with the girl, she was meeting up with teammates for Saturday morning conditioning. I will pick her up after, if she doesn't choose to run home. We live a little over one mile from the park.

Short run for me, tomorrow we do the Hofbrauhaus Half Marathon. All part of the training for Chicago, we move on from here to even greater distances, but Chris and Allie made it a real goalpost, almost halfway through the training, a race! Then we get beer and brats.

Thirteen years ago I ran my first half marathon -- not a race, but the thirteen mile mark in training for New York. It was also a Sunday. August 5, 2006. I weighed 165.5 pounds, exactly what I do today.

At that time I was suffering regular migraines, and taking medication for it which generally did not work. At that time I had only just learned that you must drink your coffee before a long run, and wait until you go to the bathroom before heading out.

These days I believe my headaches were caused entirely by the broken schedule of sleep necessary to change the diaper of an infant child, coupled with a marathon training schedule which required my waking up at 4:30 am. I rarely get migraines these days.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Duration: 28:15
Pace: 8:41
Route: Forest Hill & back
Temperature: 66°
Climate: clear & bright
Mood: good
Stretches: yes
Water: yes

As everyone knows, MTV debuted on August 1, 1981. I was surprised to discover no one had made a Spotify playlist of the songs from that day, so I made one myself. I wasn't surprised by how banal it was, the 80s hadn't really started yet. There were a couple songs by David Bowie, The Pretenders, Talking Heads ... but also a half dozen different tracks by Rod Stewart and Iron Maiden. So much Rod Stewart!

And absolutely no black artists. I mean, none.

Baseline: 179.5 lbs.
Today: 165.5 lbs. (+0.5)
Goal: 160 lbs.

What's That Lyric?
Message of Love - The Pretenders

No comments: