Sunday, July 21, 2024

Flood's Cove: Run One

"Morning."
We are at Barnstable. We had a goal for the journey; Friendship Day, an annual celebration of all things Friendship (and, in large part, a fund raiser for the volunteer fire department) was pushed up a week. This meant, among other things, that I would not be able to participate in the Long Haul 5K

But the (young adult) kids were disappointed to miss out on the parade, the craft sales and the opportunity for lobster rolls, etc. So it was decided that we would drive all on Friday and then a short jaunt on Saturday to make the 10 AM kick-off of the parade.

And it all worked out very well. Yes, successfully departed more or less by 6 AM on Friday, and by 5 AM on Saturday, so that we not only made the parade with an hour to spare, but even indulged in the traditional (post-race) pancake breakfast beforehand.

And so we settle in for two indulgent weeks on the cove. I finally realized that I am now the Old Man on the Porch, a mantle passed down from my grandfather to my father to me. This is not a position I ever thought I would hold, nor did I ever show much interest.

Distance: 1.3 miles
Duration: 12:38
Pace: 9:31

The boy and I headed out, I was so happy to learn he'd brought his shoes. We headed out a mile and a third, then walked back to the top of the hill and ran down and back to the house.

Route: Road to Martin Point
Temperature: 74°
Climate: partly cloudy
Mood: good
Stretches: yes
Water: yes
Pain Reliever: TBA

No comments: