Monday, September 24, 2007

Baby, the stars shine bright

July 4, 1980 - my first five mile run. My first run, ever. Check out those Keds. Just rolled out of bed and started running. You can do that when you're 12.

What a morning. Welcome, new moon, haven't seen stars that shiny in ages. Hello, Venus.

I understand it's been raining a little bit in London. Henrik says bits of Run, Fatboy, Run are "hopelessly naïve" - trying to train for a marathon in 3 weeks. I say yes, that's what makes it a comedy. If he took 3 months, that would be a documentary.

Received my first copy of Running Times magazine in the mail this week, a perk of signing up for the Akron Halfer. The wife thinks it's amusing - an article on Brian Sell and Eritrea's Elite Running Program? Pinch me! But I did find several pieces of interest.

Having said that, what price, writing? There's a column in there about hitting the road at 5 am that is much less interesting and, frankly, less well-written than your average daily blog entry. I'm wondering what future first-person human interest articles have in the New Media, you can get such better stuff for free.

I'm not talking about me. I just quote New Wave tunes from the 80s.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Weight: 166.5 lbs.
Stretches: yes
Drink: coffee, Gatorade
Snack: PowerBar Triple Threat
Start Time: 5.30 am
Temperature: 57º
Weather: perfect

Welcome to the Pleasuredome - Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Do It Again - Steely Dan
Warsaw * - Joy Division
Steppin' Out * - Joe Jackson
Music Time - Styx
Water From a Vine Leaf - William Orbit
Sin (Long) - Nine Inch Nails

Everyting But the Girl
"I Don't Want to Talk About It"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, hey, hey. Even in comedy there's that suspension of disbelief thing going. It's a charming movie, I just kept thinking, "That's gotta hurt." But then, that's funny, too. 5 miles when you were twelve? I forgot about that. You rock in all directions.

J said...

Love the picture from 1980. Love the tube socks!