Sunday, September 05, 2010

If I start acting stupid I'll shoot myself

Spent the night at my parents house, reading Howard the Duck comic books until past midnight, then got up for a morning run listening to songs from 1976. The goal is to write the first draft of an entire play by seven o'clock tonight. I need to get back to that.

Hilarious. Trapped on deadline, needing to produce a new monthly issue after collaborating on the "annual" (extra) issue of the title in question, as well as insisting on doing his own writing for at the daily comic strip that had just begun running in several cities (including Cleveland) among other responsibilities, Steve Gerber interrupted the storyline to provide a writer's block/exhaustion-inspired treatise called "The Zen and Art of Comic Book Writing" for Howard the Duck #16. It is entirely typewritten prose, describing the author's relationship to writing and other forms of mental illness, and is illustrated with previously published drawings.

This audacious affront went on to be nominated for an Eagle Award. Reminds me of my own life.

Bicentennial Playlist
I Wish - Stevie Wonder
Dancing Queen - ABBA
Silly Love Songs - Wings
Pasties and a G-String (159 bpm) - Tom Waits
Judy Is a Punk - The Ramones
Livin' Thing - Electric Light Orchestra
Fernando - ABBA
Let's Dance - The Ramones
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - Warren Zevon
Rich Girl (165 bpm) - Hall & Oates
Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band
Crazy On You - Heart
Hot Line - The Sylvers

Music is indeed inspiring. Lakewood, not so much.

Distance: 6.15 miles
Temperature: 60º
Weather: cool and bright

No comments: