Saturday, June 11, 2016

Valdez: Day One

First: Take a sixteen hour plane journey to Valdez, including extended layovers at O'Hare and in Anchorage, with very little rest and terrible ear pressure.

Second: Arrive with a headache, check into your dorm and take an amazing, uninterrupted, one hour power nap.

Third: Go for a run with no idea where you are.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Avg Pace: 7:52
Duration: 25:37

Did a Google Earth investigation before I arrived, running down the virtual streets of Valdez. I saw a lot of pre-fab houses and shops, and very wide streets.

From that vantage point I missed out how this town is entirely boxed in by breathtakingly beautiful, snow-swept mountains. Every street I turned, bam. New mountain.

Even though we are approaching the longest day of the year, it has already been pointed out to me that there is far less snow for June than there was, for example, when my wife and I honeymooned in Alaska seventeen years ago.

Many thanks to whoever mapped this run. As I was approaching the two and a half mile mark, I ran past the conference center with its banner reading, Welcome Last Frontier Theatre Conference. Perhaps they who logged this run two years ago was also attending the conference.

Temperature: 48°
Climate: cool with very light rain
Mood: apprehensive

Good three mile run. If I can stay awake through the entire proceedings this evening, and get to sleep without undue interruption for from ten roommates (more on that as it develops) I should be okay!

No comments: