Wednesday, August 25, 2021

I've gotta get a new balm.


Last night, I slept. I have resumed dreaming dreams I scarely remember. I wish I wrote. Running, not writing. That should be on one of those inspiration plaques like "Waving, Not Drowning."

Distance: 3.1 miles
Duration: 28:12
Pace: 9:05
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 73°
Climate: after the rains, overcast & humid
Mood: all right
Weight: 169 lbs. (-0-)

Intake
Breakfast: coffee, protein smoothie
Coffee break: latte
Lunch: vegan chicken sandwich and vegan cheese covered fries (each cut in HALF)
Treat: Pop Tarts
Dinner: cucumber soup w/almonds, cheese & bread, cherry tomatoes, beer
Dessert: Sherbet (1 scoop), Manhattan
Also, fizzy water (1x)


El Oso - Soul Coughing (1998)
Rolling
Circles
Blame
St. Louise Is Listening
Houston
$300
I Miss the Girl

Warm-Down:
So Far I Have Not Found the Science (0.25 miles)

The boy has informed me that El Oso is the best of Soul Coughing albums, this is from a kid who has long loved the band, and I was surprised. But I have to admit he is more qualified to judge (he thinks the bass and drum on this record is outstanding) as he is without bias. 

I have a personal connection to their first two albums, listening to them as they were contemporary. Just prior to the release of this, their third and final record, a surprie concert was announced at the Euclid Tavern and we got tickets, very excited to see the act.

They played El Oso, their as yet unreleased album, in its entirety, and nothing else. Maybe they played one familiar tune as an encore. And Doughty was high as a kite, his patter was virtually incomprehsible. He asked as to all refer to him as "Your Junta."

"I will be your Junta!" he proclaimed, a joke which was funny to no one but himself.

Anyway, we are opening our hearts to this record. Lyrically, there are only a few choice moments and a lot of repetition. But that drum and bass, though. The boy isn't wrong about that.

No comments: