Monday, August 30, 2021

The future looks bright.

Saturday, I just said fuck it and ate everything. Breakfast cereal, they brought home baba and I ate that. Then we went to a ballgame and there was beer, a pretzel and nachos. We ended the evening at Bette and had polenta fries and a vegan Caesar. I regret nothing, that was a good, hot and overwhelming day.

Today is the first day of resdency rehearsal, so of course I kept waking up all night. I rose at 4:30 to run but it was storming out. Fortunately, I had homework, so I just read at the kitchen table until the thnder and lightning passed and I could take a run between the raindrops (back to your door). 

Distance: 3.1 miles
Duration: 29:19
Pace: 9:28
Route: Boulevard Loop
Temperature: 70°
Climate: after the storm
Mood: upbeat!
Weight: 170 lbs. (-0-)

The Nightfly - Donald Fagen (1982)
I.G.Y.
Green Flower Street
Ruby Baby
New Frontier
The Nightfly
Walk Between the Raindrops

Maybe it was Lennon's swan song, the Elvis-inspired (just Like) Starting Over, or just encroaching middle age that inspired all these 1970s rock stars to start producing either melancholy  or embarrassingly poppy tributes to their younger days. 

See Don Henley's Boys of Summer or Billy Joel's entire An Innocent Man LP.

Donald Fagen, he of the acid-lyriced yacht rock ensemble Steely Dan, walked the finest line between satire and nostalgia with The Nightfly and the commentary wasn't lost on me, at the age of fourteen I "got" the message of its opening track I.G.Y. (International Geophysical Year) which never gives away the game. It is openly optimistic about the untold possibilities of science and commerce ... but that year was 1957.

The song never asks the obvious question, "What the hell happened, man?" This dry wit is with me today, and explains why I make patently absurd observations on Facebook, and why my white male colleagues can help themselves but need to explain exactly how I am wrong.

This album defined my high school years, and it remains one of my absolute favorites.

Intake
Breakfast: coffee (2x), PSL, doughnut (1)
Lunch: Sittoo’s Business Special (half)
Coffee break: coffee & cream
Happy hour: beer, m&ms
Dinner: Mushroom stew over brown rice
Also, two oatmeal coconut cookies 

Okay, a run before rehearsal. Ok! Now, we need to watch what we consume during rehearsal. This is where the holidays truly begin.

No comments: