Sunday, May 24, 2015

You can be slow or fast but you must get to the line.

A gift from my wife.
Today's prompt was "Have you ever accomplished a big goal?" Why, yes, I have. I even wrote a play about it. Feeling nothing else to say about that I turned my focus toward other goals for other people, which eventually turned back to my own current writing malaise and just what exactly I am supposed to do about that.

Observation: When I read my fingers get cold, but writing warms them up.

When I was young, perhaps my son's age, I was surrounded by my brother's friends. He was seven years older than I, and so his colleagues, either seniors in high school or already in college, appeared worldly and impressive to me. One or two I truly admired, and sought to emulate. They were creative types, if already bitterly cynical (it was the late 70s) several writers and even artists.

My attempts at creation were copies, because that is where you start. But these were not kind mentors but immature young men with their own neuroses and so rather than receiving encouragement I was traditionally mocked, and sometimes briefly and curtly. I do not need to share any direct quotes (oh though, yes, I remember those) but will state only that the worst sin I could have committed was to be unoriginal.

I was ten, or eleven years old.

I cringe from those times I have created something unoriginal. The fact that Guerrilla Theater Co. was a wholesale lift of concepts originally created by The Neo-Futurists was something I was never comfortable with. Trying to reach outside of myself to imagine a story I could tell that doesn't relate directly to me or my life is challenging because there isn't a walk of life I take interest in which has not already been covered by someone else.

Recently I have taken great satisfaction in adapting work, because it is obvious what it is supposed to be. Rosalynde & The Falcon explodes the idea of appropriation as absolutely everything in it is from somewhere else, but remains somehow entirely original, and that was immensely satisfying.

Training for a marathon is - yes, no, really, yes, it is - an act of creation, as I build, day after day towards an event which is like a performance. Training is rehearsing, as practicing any sport is a rehearsal for an improvised final event. But even though thousands are doing the same thing, my training is mine, my moment in my head to figure things out and accomplish them as best I can to create this moment.

It's even collaborative, as people throw in their suggestions - positive, helpful suggestions, which you may take or leave, with thanks - to help you accomplish your final goal.

We are in the final two weeks of rehearsal for The Life of Timon of Athens which opens Friday, June 5. I am no longer the highly insecure or neurotic director I used to be, this is a game, putting together pieces, and it is very collaborative, as people make suggestions and I take them or leave them - with thanks - adding choreography and music to create a singular, coherent performance out of a truly bizarre script.

You should see it. It's very original.

Temperature: 73°
Distance: 3.4 miles
Avg Pace: 7.46
Climate: bright, clear, humid, awesome.

The girl has written a poem for school, with "originality" I could not have dared when I were her age. It is scary and beautiful - the poem, and that she could accomplish that.

Weight: 157 lbs.
From Goal: -3.0

What's On Daddy's iPhone?
World In Motion - New Order

New Order radio on Spotify. Deep cuts this poser never heard before.

I wish every day was like Sunday.

No comments: