Sunday, May 08, 2016

I am leaving many people feeling worse than before.

Last night I performed I Hate This (a play without the baby) at Talespinner Children's Theatre. I took the photo at right backstage, minutes before the show began.

I first performed this piece when I was thirty-five. The events it describes happened when I was thirty-three. I am now nearly forty-eight.

I had, on occasion, used hair dye to cover those patches of gray which were arriving daily, to keep my appearance more in line with how I looked in my early thirties.

Now that seems kind of pointless. My skin sags, my eyes have sunk. If I darkened my hair or put pink in my cheeks I'd look like Aschenbach. (Literary allusions for 100, Stephani.)

Besides, the whole point of this endeavor was to tell the story from now. Not in any obvious way (though I did add a brief, new scene to represent Calvin's most recent birthday) but if this go-round has taught me anything it is that the piece works best when I just tell it. More telling, less acting. The writing has always been better, anyway.

Distance: 6 miles
Avg Pace: 7:37
Duration: 45:42
Route: Cain Park-Noble Loop
Week Nine Total: 22 miles
Training To Date: 194 miles

We move into week ten of training, the final week. By this time next Sunday, we will be well past the finish line.

Temperature: 55°
Climate: cool and bright
Weight: 163.5 (+2.5)
Mood: relieved

Great run. Check out the playlist. Before the show last night we played Kid A, which has been the traditional pre-show music since the beginning. The set, the props, everything was retro last night, so why change the music? Made me think I would run to that this morning.

But not after last night. so much joy, so much life. I would rather be in the now, thank you.

2015-16 School Year Playlist
Cake By The Ocean - DNCE
Giving Up On You * - Wild Belle
Run - San Cisco
Stay Alive * - Company from "Hamilton"
Restless - New Order
Water - Ra Ra Riot
Snakeskin - Deerhunter
I Can't Give Everything Away - David Bowie
The Party Line - Belle & Sebastian
Leave a Trace - CHVRCHES
Price Tag - Sleater-Kinney

No comments: