Wednesday, May 11, 2016

I could feel her coming from a mile away.

Cowboy.
Yesterday, my knee hurt all day. From when I ran in the morning, it just got more uncomfortable. Not difficult-to-walk painful, just a constant singing ache. No injuries throughout the entire training period, a short, three-mile run and my knee hurts all day.

Distance: 3 miles
Avg Pace: 7:20
Duration: 22:02
Route: Forest Hill Loop

As a child the end of the school year was a moment of closure; a point of transition, true but a clear ending of something. Neat. Specific. Then moving on.

Thirty years ago we were preparing to graduate from high school. Promise was enormous, but what the hell was I doing? This is one of the central issues of the new play I have written, the one which will be workshopped at Last Frontier.

My high school reunion will be celebrated this June. I always say I won't go, I always do. Inevitably I feel uncomfortable, unsatisfied. This year I can't go, I will be in Alaska. The future trumps the past.

Temperature: 61°
Climate: overcast and breezy
Weight: 163 lbs. (-1.0)
Mood: good

Could have run forever this morning ... with no idea where I was going.

1985-86 School Year Playlist
I Wanna Be a Cowboy - Boys Don't Cry
This Is Not America - Pat Metheny Group ft. David Bowie
Throwing It All Away (168 bpm)  - The Police
And We Danced - The Hooters
Sheila Take a Bow - The Smiths
Another Generation (171 bpm) - Fishbone

Warmdown
The Pleasure Principle - Janet Jackson

No comments: