Thursday, May 31, 2018

There's no hurry for you or for me.

The first of Hector
(Troilus & Cressida opens June 15)
Today my son completes seventh grade. Anyone who enjoyed seventh grade is an asshole.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Pace: 8:28
Route: Forest Hill Run
Temperature: 74°
Climate: over cast & hot
Mood: all right

Hot days, long nights. Exhaustion is something I need to cope with. That and mental torpor. For three hours every night I am animated and alert, and that's about it. Thank heavens for that, anyway.

Stretches: yes

"No Way Out" by Starship is an MOR standard of the mid-1980s, and as such deals with mature male subjects with a serious tone which to modern ear sounds like synthesized earnestness warbled by a woman. That was an era marked by the transition from maudlin Boomer creamy-pudding rock of the 1970s to the as-yet-unnamed "Generation X," devil-may-care dance music.

That song, which describes the feeling you get after cheating on your partner but realizing you are too chicken-shit to actually be honest after or leave, was released just as I was learning what those feelings were myself. Like everything else the Baby Boomers have ever done or said, it was permission for irresponsible and selfish behavior.

Thanks for the lesson, guys!

Baseline: 178 lbs.
Today: 163 lbs. (-0.5)
Goal: 160 lbs.

First time doing stretches in well over a week, and I can tell. Hope doing them today helps quell the pain. Meantime, I still need to manage my intake. Packing lunch is a necessity.

What's That Lyric?
It's Gonna Get Better * - Genesis

No comments: