Monday, July 22, 2019

When you're out of fuel I'm still afloat.

Gabriel's Gate
Buffalo, New York
The boy and I made the drive from Cleveland. We made a plan to listen to entire albums, as opposed to mixes, Spotify or satellite radio. He's missed out on the, experiencing an complete work of music as created by the artist from start to finish.

And by this, I don't mean my albums. They are half my albums, we went back and forth, choosing the next one. I had gone to the library to get CDs of his favorite artists based on his requests. It was quite an experience and it made the trip seem much more like something was happening, and not just "when do we get there."

Distance: 3 miles
Duration: 26:15
Pace: 8:31
Route: Martin Point Run
Temperature: 76
Climate: overcast & hot
Mood: much better
Stretches: no
Water: yes

Very hot when we arrived in the cove. It cooled slightly after dark, and I had a box fan. But I woke at three with a splitting headache and couldn't find any pain reliever. Resigned, I put a cool cloth on my head and tried to sleep. All I did was have waking dreams in which different people were offering me pain reliever.

Finally got out of bed at nine and mom gave me some, for real, and then got an hour or so of real sleep. So I am heading out later than I would choose to, but we're in training and it is time to stretch these legs.

"The Blue Album" - Weezer (1994)
My Name Is Jonas
No One Else
The World Has Turned And Left Me Here
Buddy Holly
Undone- The Sweater Song 
Surf Wax America
Say It Ain't So
In the Garage

This is not one of the albums we listened to on the journey, but it could have been. We did listen to Barenaked Ladies' first album, Gordon, and these two records reflect a certain masculine toxicity which became popular as Generation X moved through their twenties. Poor, unloved fanboys ogling women they will one day conquer. Or they have someone, and can barely repress their jealousy and desire to inflict violence.

No comments: