Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Where do we go from here?

Been out on Martin Point Road three times today already.

Wife Walk
Distance: 3.5 miles

Easy morning. Quiet house. Finished a book, started writing my book report. The wife and I took a walk. It has been cool the past two days, today it is a bit warm again. Another summer I may have gone for a run first, but this year I am allowing the days to be a bit more shapeless. So? A hot afternoon run.

Solo Run
Distance: 3.5 miles

Why Me? Playlist
The Voice - Moody Blues
Games People Play - The Alan Parsons Project
Destroyer - The Kinks
If I Didn't Love You - Squeeze
New World Man - Rush
Swallowed By The Cracks - David & David
Abacab - Genesis

You might notice the playlist this week, a computer generated list based on the song Why Me? by Planet P. You know, there are songs which only I remember (or so I'd like to believe) which have fallen off the Gen X oldies station radar.

On our drive here, we were in a gas station when they were playing My Brave Face by Paul McCartney. Released in 1989, it was co-written by Elvis Costello for one of McCartney's albums. The same year Veronica was a single for Elvis, also co-written by McCartney. They each had airplay, only you might hear Veronica on the radio from time to time. but never My Brave Face.

Honestly I can't remember hearing it since the very early 90s. I had entirely forgotten it had existed. And it's a good song, fun to listen to, well-performed and produced, not irritating in any way. The question is not why did this song disappear, it's why did this one when so many other minor hits have not?

Why Me? is a song I will never forget, but also one I never hear played anywhere but on my iPod. Possibly the song that was on MTV the first turn I switched it on in my own home in early 1983. It's not exactly new wave, more just this synth-heavy, rock-pop song with a video that featured a lot of NASA b-roll.

But this mix is crazy, it's so entirely my teenage years. Exactly what I needed for this trip, just randomly early 80s.

Girl Run
Distance: 1.5 miles

The girl came home from a shopping trip at Remy's with her friend. I'd promised her a run before the trip was announced, that just kind of happened. But when she came back she asked if I would run with her. I could say no, but I didn't have a reason why. How could I say no?

No comments: