Sunday, January 08, 2017

I got stars in my beard.

I'm Doctor Strange.
Went a little nuts last night. We went to see a movie, just the wife the boy and I (the girl was at a party) and between the three of us consumed two buckets of popcorn a giant soda and a cup full of Mike n' Ikes, and then the four of us had Chinese food after.

We were driving to pick up dinner and the wife spied this guy in his winter exercise things, chugging up the street in the dark.

"There's one hard-core runner," she observed.

A pause.

"So what am I, some kind of dork?"

Distance: 3.35 miles
Avg. Pace: 9:01
Duration: 30:13
Route: Neighborhood Run

Thought it would be a relatively brief run, still well below freezing, snow on the ground. But I started as I suggested yesterday, taking the neighborhood side streets as a warm-up, beginning my run with an uphill climb followed by a pleasant descent, and then again on the next street.

Instead of repeating this, I decided to return to the block, circling it not once, but twice. Without realizing it I had gone over three miles when I had imagined it was closer to two.

Pavement: slippery with snow
Temperature: 14°
Climate: cold
Mood: decent

The pace is deceptive, I was working overtime to keep my balance and to keep my feet on the slippery surface while also keeping it swift.

Baseline: 174 lbs.
Today: 170.5 (+0.5)
Goal: 170 lbs.
Ideal: 165 lbs.

There are a few years for which I have surprisingly few songs on the running playlist, and 1971 is one of those. Less than two hours of music for running, most years from the late 60s and early 70s have over three hours of upbeat tracks.

Of course, I wasn't particularly aware of music at that time, so these are songs I have come to know and appreciate during later years. This, in comparison to those years where I was cognizant of what was on the radio or television. A year like 1983 has over thirteen hours of uptempo songs.

Recent years will have fewer songs because I have not accumulated everything that gets released that I enjoy, coupled with the fact that I don't have decades of recordings on CD to have culled. But again, strangely I have far fewer songs from the year 2014 than any other year in recent times, also less than two hours, unlike 2016, say, for which I already have well over two hours of running songs.

Did 2014 suck as a year in dance music, or is it just me, did I suck in 2014? I didn't run as much, that is clear.

1971 Playlist
Theme from "Shaft" - Isaac Hayes
Oh Yoko - John Lennon
Soul Power (Pt. 1) - James Brown
Four Sticks - Led Zeppelin
Roundabout - Yes
Meet Me On The Corner - Lindisfarne
Mambo Sun - T. Rex

No comments: