Friday, May 05, 2023

Four-Mile Eldest Run

This is weird.
Last Monday, when the eldest and I took that run in Athens and it was so fucking windy, they asked if I remembered that time on the beach and of course I knew exactly what they were talking about.

We had run about a mile down the beach, which was fine, and then turned around and I realized we had made a mistake, because the wind was very, very hard. It was 2015, they were twelve.

The goal, of course, was to run the Island Independence Day 5K together and they had already expressed concern that they wouldn't be able to manage it. This suddenly very difficult training run did not help.

On Sunday I reminded them how we had succeeded, we made the 5K, in our matching Captain America shirts, and finished it together in very good time.

Yes, they said. Even that day on the beach, they pushed hard and ran all the way to the house without stopping, peeling away from me and up the beach. At the time I thought they were trying to get away from me, that they were angry with me. What they were really trying to do was finish, by getting back to the house.

"I kept saying things like, you're doing great," I recalled. "And you kept telling me to shut up."

They laughed. They apologized. No need.

Distance: 4 miles
Duration: 41:34
Pace: 10:23
Route: Cain Park Loop
Temperature: 58°
Climate: sunny & warm
Mood: very good

Is it a coincidence that, after the first evening I have a cocktail at home, that my sleep is disrupted so completely? The fat before was fraught with anxiety, and I sought to unwind, but I slept a few hours and then lie awake, worrying.

Not just about issues, but about my health. I felt achy. I had resumed upper body exercises, was that it? Or did I have Covid? Were the next two weeks ruined?

I got up. I had a glass of water. I read. I tried to go back to sleep.
 
Stretches: yes
Abdominals: tbd
Upper body: tbd
Water: yes

Eldest requested a four mile and chose the city route. Went extremely well, it makes me so happy when they are home. And I feel so much better than I did in the middle of the night.

No comments: