Tuesday, January 31, 2012

If your heart skips a beat, stay on your feet.


51º at 5:15 AM on January 31. All right, then. I'm wearing shorts.

Distance: 4 miles
Route: To Parkside Blvd. and back.

Bit of a conundrum here as re: the Yearly Playlists. Following my first marathon in Nov. 2006 I took a well-deserved rest ... which lasted a bit too long. In order to motivate myself to run out-of-doors in deepest winter, beginning in February 2007 I began running to a playlist dedicated to a single year, every run. It was fun making the lists, and I think I went back as far as the late 70s. My music database did not, at that time, have many songs prior to that date that had the appropriate rhythm. I chose years at random.

In 2008 I tried again, starting at the year 2007 and going backwards one year at a time in sequence. I suffered a meniscus tear during that series, and stopped, again, in the 70s. By 2009, starting in January, I was able to successfully run one playlist for every year I have walked this earth (in no particular order) from 1968 to 2009. It took me until late May to run 42 times, by which time enough interesting singles had been released from that year (or late 2008) to make a reasonable playlist.

1987 Playlist
You're My Drug (152 bpm) - The Dukes of Stratosphear
Big Love - Fleetwood Mac
Need You Tonight - INXS
Fear Is Never Boring - The Bears
Smooth Criminal/Bad - Michael Jackson
Got My Mind Set On You - George Harrison
Leave Me Alone - Michael Jackson
New Sensation - INXS
Good Times (157 bpm) - INXS & Jimmy Barnes

Cooldown:
A Japanese Dream (remix) - The Cure

This year I started at 1968 and am running every year to 2012 in chronological order. Today I have run 20 times in the month of January, a record for runs in a single month. At this rate, I will be done with the annual playlists by early March. Suggestions for the 2012 playlist will be greatly appreciated as the year itself will have barely begun.

Temperature: 51º
Climate: cool & windy
Weight: 177 lbs.
Snack: banana
Hydration? yes
Stretches? yes

No comments: