Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Martin Point Walk/Run

The day opened up yesterday, a very pleasing afternoon in which the boy and I were able to head out in the motorboat to do a bit of fishing. Getting the boat into the dock was a bit trying, however, as there was a knot in the mooring. I actually had to use a kayak to attending to the mooring and run the knot through, ripping up my hands a touch and taxing me in general.

I am not a weak person. In fact, I have been successful with my exercises and it gives me strength .. but trying to maintain balance in a kayak while wrestling with unhelpful objects, bobbing about in the water is very aggravating, physically and so mentally. I was not able to stay out in the boat as long as I otherwise might have.

I hate this. I hate my complaining, I hate the hurting. Falling asleep last night was challenging, as I had pain down my left side.

Distance: 2.25 miles total (1.2 running)
Route: Martin Point
Temperature: 69•
Climate: overcast & cool
Mood: good

The boy used to balk at running. He was young, of course, but his sister started early. But she has been a dedicated soccer player, used to running in spite of her asthma. He is bigger, he carries more weight. In that way, he is like my father.

But he would also complain of his feet hurting, and other issues that would make him stop after a few yards. I didn't know how much was your basic human desire not to run. I wasn't forcing him to, I never compelled him to he would try it and not like. That's why he bikes while I run.

Lately, however, he has been running. He uses the treadmill at the rec center, which is great way to begin. Twenty years ago my wife and I (before we were married, actually) gifted ourselves a gym membership, and so I trained myself to run for a long duration than I ever had previously. It was six years before I started truly running in the streets.

So when my wife proposed to him this morning that he accompany me on my run, I was surprised when he agreed. He's still at the point where he will run for a while, and then walk, but I was impressed.

And we got to talk. Which is always good.

Exercises: indeed.

No comments: