Monday, July 23, 2018

With a couple of kids running in the yard.

We are in Maine. It has been a long, relaxed morning, spent reading. I bought The Witches by Stacy Schiff last year, and it has taken some time to complete. I mean, even now I'm not close. It' a thick book, with small print, but that's not the problem. It's just maddening ... I will write about it soon, I'm sure (or, uh, maybe not soon) right now I will continue to plow through. Sitting by a fire in New England is certainly motivating.

I know. Maine isn't really New England. But it did used to be part of Massachusetts, so step off.

So, anyway. Took my time getting out. Cool morning. Fog only just now burning off. The wife and boy went out to Beatrice Bay, she to commune, he to fish. And I, the other way, to run.

Distance: 3.5 miles
Pace: 8:30
Route: Martin Point Run
Temperature: 69•
Climate: overcast & cool
Mood: good

Driving here was literally a pain in the ass. Driving the first leg on Saturday was not actually difficult, it was when I became a passenger that the nerves down my left side began to ache. Taking a nap, it became increasingly painful and I asked to pull over so that I could do some exercises and return to driving.

Yesterday we were stuck in some backed up traffic, and it was then that my right side began to hurt, with all of the braking. My right side. It was truly awful. I enjoy driving with my family, and returning to these old old roads, and it makes me very unhappy to wish so dearly for the journey to be over.

The wife asked if the exercises my chiropractor advised are having any effect, and I believe they are. I just have to do them. I did a sequence at the hotel yesterday morning, but they can't really help if I am in the unusual circumstance such as we had on the highway yesterday.

Exercises: Yes. Thank you.

Today's run was truly glorious, and fast. It felt good. The hills can be wearying when it is bright and hot, but today it is pleasant, cool, and cloudy. Ideal for running.

The girl spent the evening with a school chum on Squirrel Island, and will rejoin us this evening. I wonder if she will want to run with me this week.

What's That Lyric?
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - The Beatles

No comments: