Friday, June 02, 2023

Love me 'til my heart stops

"1983 - The summer we got MTV, I started smoking pot and had my first compulsive masturbation. I don’t think those things are unrelated." - from "And Then You Die"
Fact, when we first got MTV I wanted to leave it on all day. If I had had a TV in my bedroom, I would have, so that it was just on when I walked in the door.

Many music videos, the best ones, were transportive. They took you some places new and different. Like, really different. Either exotic or weird or just not here.

Like so many of the artists that were revealed to us (or to me, anyway) their image and sound arrived simultaneously. I would learn later that Talking Heads did that cover of "Take Me to the River" I'd heard on the radio was back in 1977. 

First, however, I would meet the band named Talking Heads through the sweaty nerd in "Once In a Lifetime" (Remain In Light had been released three years earlier, but I don't remember hearing that on the radio at all) and "Burning Down the House" which was on some serious heavy rotation when the album Speaking In Tongues was released on May 31, 1983.

Speaking In Tongues - Talking Heads (1983)
Burning Down the House
Making Flippy Floppy
Girlfriend Is Better
Slippery People
I Get Wild/Wild Gravity
Swamp
Moon Rocks
Pull Up the Roots
This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)

That last, "This Must Be the Place" has, over time, become one of my very favorite songs ever written. A love song composed of abstract and unassociated phrases of love that add up to a lifetime.
You got light in your eyes.

Did I find you, or you find me?

Sing into my mouth.

Make it up as we go along. 
I would fail to put it any better.

Distance: 5 miles
Duration: 49:18
Pace: 9:51
Route: Forest Hill to Horizon Loop
Temperature: 78°
Climate: sunny & hot
Mood: very good
 
Why run when it is over eighty degrees? Why not wait until the sun goes down? Well, I'll tell you. Because I can't run in the dark anymore. Really. Not a good idea. And you know, I think I never could and I just got away with it. One of these night I am just going to wipe out and I would rather that not happen.

So, anyway running in the heat doesn't bother me, which should be obvious by now.
 
But man, one hour before sundown? Perfect.
 
Pride.
Stretches: yes
Plank: 90 sec.
Abdominals: 10 reps
Upper body: tbd
Water: yes

Breakfast: coffee w/cream, fresh blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, banana, granola & yogurt
Lunch: pepperoni slice w/spicy ranch dunk, coke
Happy Hour: iced coffee w/milk & sugar
Dinner: spinach salad w/citrus vinaigrette, fresh strawberry, blueberry, cherry tomatoes & toasted walnuts, beans & greens, OJ 

Baseline: 195 lbs.
Current: 174.5 lbs. (-1.5)
New Goal: 170 lbs.

No comments: