Sunday, June 04, 2023

Well, we know where we're going. But we don't know where we've been.

The New Psychedelia.

Speaking of summers long past, my brother completed his studies in early 1985 and returned home for a year or so while he searched for his dream job, or the nearest thing to it. This mainly involved his creating cover letters on my dot-matrix printer for days on end (the noise: iykyk) addressed to every single NPR affiliate in the United States.

He was twenty-three, I was nearly seventeen. He weren't friends yet, he still joined his friends in lavishing me with verbal abuse when they were around, but when we were on our own we became friendly. We dropped wisdom, stayed up late to watch Night Flight, he bought Heineken and taught me about the simple pleasure of potato chips and good onion dip.

One evening Night Flight produced a salute to the Talking Heads, to celebrate the release of Little Creatures (released June 10). The program featured clips I had never seen before, like the one for "Cross-eyed and Painless" which they claimed was the first to include breakdancing, and also their newest track, "Road to Nowhere" which my brother and I watched on repeat, laughing ourselves silly. 

Little Creatures - Talking Heads (1985)
And She Was
Give Me Back My Name
Creatures of Love
The Lady Don't Mind
Perfect World
Stay Up Late
Walk It Down
Television Man
Road to Nowhere


Distance: 4.15 miles
Duration: 38:45
Pace: 9:20
Route: Forest Hill Loop +
Temperature: 70°
Climate: sunny & warm
Mood: excellent
 
The program also including the promotional video for Stop Making Sense, in which David Byrne stages a film junket where all the interviewers are played by himself in various guises. The piece includes quotes I still incorporate into daily conversation. Unfortunately, one of the interviewers is DB in blackface, because, you know. "It was a different time." 
 
Stretches: yes
Abdominals: 90 sec.
Upper body: 10 reps. (2x)
Water: yes

Keep up the exercises. I missed a day and it hurt.

Breakfast: coffee w/cream
Lunch: fresh strawberry, banana, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry w/vanilla yogurt & granola
Treat: chocolate chip cookies (2x), milk
Happy Hour: grapefruit soda, fizzy water
Dinner: potato & mushroom Paprikash, cucumber salad

I believe I have lost twenty pounds.

Baseline: 195 lbs.
Current: 174.5 lbs. (-0-)
Goal: 170 lbs.

You can't not finish strong with this album.

Road to nowhere.

No comments: