Saturday, March 31, 2007

Daddy likes men

Route: Downtown Circle

Distance: 3.25 miles
Time: 4.30 pm
Stretches: yes
Sit-ups: 60
Bicycles: 60
Drink: Gatorade

1977 Playlist
Second Hand News - Fleetwood Mac
Nothing Achieving - The Police
Cretin Hop - The Ramones
We're A Happy Family - The Ramones
Turn To Stone - Electric Light Orchestra
(Get A) Grip (On Yourself) - Stranglers
Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

Cooldown:
God Save The Queen - Sex Pistols
Warsaw - Joy Division
Heroes - David Bowie

"We can try to understand the New York Times effect on man."

Tonight was opening night, we tech'ed during the afternoon, and I had enough time to put in a run around downtown. It must have been fast - it was three and a quarter miles but I cleared it in roughly 25 minutes.

Lately I have been having some difficulty justifying my existence. Not much to show for thirty-eight years, living in the same space. The brief loop I took around downtown showed me many things - it will sound like showing off, but these things happened, they are true, this is my life.

  • Heading out from Playhouse Square - where I am performing on the stage of the Ohio ...
  • Past the Greyhound bus station - where I picked up R. & P. before heading back out with them to Los Angeles in '91 ...
  • Down 13th Street and past the Galleria - where I got to shake hands with Clinton ...
  • Onto Lakeside and turning right at the Free Stamp onto East 9th street where I saw ...
    1. The Coast Guard Station, where L. and I received recognition form Gulf War vets for a theatrical production we collaborated on ...
    2. Voinovich Park, where my wife and I participated in a Spencer Tunick installation and interviewed a bunch of nude people (while nude) for an audio diary broadcast on NPR ...
    3. The Rock Hall, where I performed my one-man show on an early March morning three years ago ...
  • Then ran past the Stadium - where they taped that nationally broadcast sit-com I had a featued appearance in ...
  • Up West 3rd towards the Renaissance - where I married a couple last November, and where my wife and I had our wedding night ...
  • Turned left onto Frankfort, past the Old Stone Church - where we produced a fantastic Christmas pageant in 2000 ...
  • By the war memorial - where I was an extra in a Hollywood movie ...
  • Up East 5th and past the library - where C. and I performed scenes from Farenheit 451 ...
  • Around the BP building and down Euclid, past where my father used to work, past the building my uncle used to own - and where I spent a summer in college as a go-fer ...
  • And back to Playhouse Square - where I work for a living, and where there is a big-ass picture of me dressed a Shakespeare on the marquee.

    A three-mile diameter. I own this town.

    But who's buying?
  • No comments: